FUNBOY ET FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow Redirect Host

3 posters

Go down

Slow Redirect Host Empty Slow Redirect Host

Post by obituary Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:13 pm

I noticed that we have been averaging less players lately, so I installed ET from scratch and connected to the server to see if there were any bugs keeping new players out. I do this sometimes just to check on things.

What I noticed is that it took about five minutes to get in the game. The redirect was only downloading files to my client at about 80 kb/sec. I had a couple other computers running at the same time, to be fair, but this should have been faster than that. My home internet is about 15 Mbps upload / 3 Mbps download, so it should be easy for me to keep up with the highest rate the redirect can download at.

So I don't have a good solution other than pay a ton of money for more reliable hosting, or drop all the big files that make the server what it is. Neither of these are good options, so I will probably do nothing and hope the problem goes away.

I could complain directly to the host, but it would take him three days to write back and the answer would be "pay more" or "there is nothing wrong".

I thought I would start a thread and see if anyone else noticed the same problems.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Slow Redirect Host Empty Re: Slow Redirect Host

Post by obituary Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:26 pm

OK, it is five minutes later, and my fresh installation of ET just got kicked off the server between maps due to the old "CL_GetServerCommand: a reliable command was cycled out" error.

This is an old quake engine error. It happens between maps a lot when a system is under stress (like running a vanilla ET installation on a laggy server). This means the server needs to be rebooted, and smaller maps loaded.

Gonna reboot the server now, and try again. Probably load some stock maps and small maps like valhalla or V2 base too.

obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Clyde Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Server was stopped at about 3:10 PM PST....restarted....hope no one was working the back end...

Update 3:18 PM PST ....tried to login to server ...got message ///SERVER FULL....Bots only on server I think

Last edited by Clyde on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Clyde
Clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Clyde wrote:Server was stopped at about 3:10 PM PST....restarted....hope no one was working the back end...

Update 3:18 PM PST ....tried to login to server ...got message ///SERVER FULL....Bots only on server I think

Yeah that was me changing maps... we have smaller maps on now:

crevasse_pe
frostbite
ga_el_kef
mml_minastirith_fp3
oasis
sp_delivery_te
supplydepot2
te_valhalla
xlabs1

Should be a lot less lag and less download time.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Clyde Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Is the server name correct?
Clyde
Clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Clyde wrote:Is the server name correct?

Should be FUNBOY (BEGINNER).
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by CowboyUp Thu May 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Yer talking over my head with computer stuff, but I have noticed that it's been down a lot more than normal lately (like now).
CowboyUp
CowboyUp

Back to top Go down

Post by Clyde Tue May 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Sorry to all that I have not been around as much as I used to be.... Damn work load is killing me.... Question ...if the server has been down many days and been unstable...I need to know as I will ask for compensation from the host...we pay by the month and if we are not getting the full load ...they need to make up for it
Clyde
Clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down