FUNBOY ET FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a bot now

3 posters

Go down

I'm a bot now Empty I'm a bot now

Post by BusinessAsUsual Fri May 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Ever since I started playing on your server, I had a consistent ping of around 30. But for the past two days, my ping is usually 0. Another weird thing that started the other day is when I'm speccing someone it will run a little choppy, but when I'm just flying around as a spectator I get no choppiness. Am I becoming an omnibot?
BusinessAsUsual
BusinessAsUsual

Back to top Go down

I'm a bot now Empty Re: I'm a bot now

Post by Koenios Sat May 30, 2015 5:11 am

No, you have /cl_timenudge set at -50.
Koenios
Koenios

Back to top Go down

Post by BusinessAsUsual Sat May 30, 2015 10:05 am

Koenios wrote:No, you have /cl_timenudge set at -50.

How did it get set so low? I haven't messed with that setting whatsoever. Also, what's the best timenudge value for a good connection, 0 or -20, or something else entirely?
BusinessAsUsual
BusinessAsUsual

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenios Sat May 30, 2015 10:27 am

Maybe you used the config that is listed in the vsay menu?

I know the default on timenudge is 0, but there are a few players that use timenudge to decrease ping. I personally don't like it, because as you said, it makes the game choppy. The lower you put your timenudge, the lower your ping gets.

I have to admit though, I don't have much knowledge about configs, but this is my personal experience from what I've seen from timenudge.
Koenios
Koenios

Back to top Go down

Post by BusinessAsUsual Sat May 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks a lot for all the info. I did a little research into TN as it's used for many other games as well, and it seems that if your ping is reasonable, the best value to use is 0 as this will make everything run smoother and everyone else will appear in the correct position on your screen. Having a negative TN value will cause other players to not appear in their correct position, thus affecting aim, as well as the choppiness issues.
BusinessAsUsual
BusinessAsUsual

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Sat May 30, 2015 2:07 pm

If you are in the NYC area and on fiber optic connection you could have a ping close to 0, and then using timenudge could indeed drop you to 0 ping.

To check it, do this:

open your console while you are in the game (hit ~)

then type this:

/players

and you will see everyone's settings for timenudge, rate, snaps

You can use "set cl_timenudge -50" in your config or just enter it in your console to lower your ping, and many players use it. We don't restrict it here. Some server say it is a cheat but I don't see the logic here. Seeing through walls is a cheat, helping to reduce your lag is not cheating. Other servers force it to a set value (so everyone gets it at -20 for example) so they cannot "toggle" the cvar in-game (as in bind it to their left mouse button so it goes back and forth 10 timesĀ  a second). This was an old trick used a lot in etpro to make it harder for the server to calculate where you were so you were harder to hit with a bullet to a tight hitbox. With our weapons this confers no advantage whatsoever.

It won't lower your ping by 50ms though, the best I get is about a 20ms drop. I have read on other forums (unverifiable info) that it can only drop it by 30ms due to how the game engine works. Your mileage will vary.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum