FUNBOY ET FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FUNBOY (RELAPSE)

+4
Friedrich
natural
Koenios
obituary
8 posters

Go down

FUNBOY (RELAPSE) Empty FUNBOY (RELAPSE)

Post by obituary Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 pm

After a year away from ET, I have brought the viciousness, cynicism and anarchy of Funboy E.T. back to the world.

I had foolishly thought that by going offline I could focus on my "real life" and get a lot of things accomplished, be a better person, better father, improve my career, all that sort of bullshit people say they want to do.

After 30 years of living like a rock star in the drug crucible of St. Louis Missouri, the murder capitol of the USA, I have long since lost any bearing on "normal life".

Playing video games is my "real life".

With that in mind, I return to you as obituary.

Let the killing begin.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

FUNBOY (RELAPSE) Empty Re: FUNBOY (RELAPSE)

Post by Koenios Tue May 09, 2017 5:22 am

Awesome! 

Can't find the IP nor the server in the masterlist/trackbase/splatterladder.

Just for clarity, is it not up yet? Else we need a server IP to connect  Very Happy.
Koenios
Koenios

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Tue May 09, 2017 6:03 pm

IP is 192.223.30.189:27961

I should have it up in an hour.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Tue May 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Looks like it has been running fine actually, the console is still running on the server. Bunch of bots doing nothing with no humans. It's just not showing up in the master list and I can't connect directly by /connect 192.22.30.189:27961

Server runs fine on a home network.

meh we will get it running eventually... not going to obsess over ET this time around lol
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Well that didn't take long to get attacked.

Nice job whoever changed the password. Impressive.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenios Wed May 10, 2017 12:40 pm

That's crazy, how did they even know the servers were up? Would've thought people would've gave up looking on here.

Anyways, tried connecting this morning. You already know this it seems, but wasn't able to connect either.

Anything we can do to help?
Koenios
Koenios

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Thu May 11, 2017 6:38 am

It was weird, I posted the IP here and then within an hour the server was completely unconnectable (user id and password would not work). I could not get in directly from my home computer. Which was working just fine for a day before. So I tried going in through the server company website (they have a little embedded VNC client for customers who don't know how to use putty or mstsc or ssh) and I could not log in from that. 

So I could remotely reboot it from behind the server (forced reboot through the provider's webpage) and that worked, I could relogin with my user id and password. I went into the Event Viewer and there were multiple attacks.

This was a windows 2008 server I just rented literally two days ago, turned on the firewall, and copied over my old copy of FUNBOY BEGINNER that sits on my home computer (and has worked fine for years). 

Anyway, guess we wont be touching windows server 2008 ever again. It's really eye-opening how vulnerable it is, without a bunch of third-party add on security features. And why would anyone want to use windows on a server when it is that easy to knock offline. 

I guess we wont be putting jaymod up either, dont feel like dealing with 200 hacks, so back to silent mod (I have a copy of the Asylum server).

Guess nothing has changed in ET.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 am

Koenios you can be the Head Admin when I get the server running. You have always been a great player and a loyal friend over the years. 

You can restart FBY clan if you are interested. I have the XP files and admin level files from both Funboy and Asylum.

That would be a great way to help out and probably a lot of fun too.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Thu May 11, 2017 8:09 am

This is the non-stop ddos we were dealing with behind the scenes daily last January and February when I said the hell with it and shut off the old windows server. 

FUNBOY (RELAPSE) 29vkvuv
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenios Thu May 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Sure, I'd like to have admin to help out where I can. Not sure about a clan though, that requires a lot of communication and such. There have always been people that would do very well with the basic commands in my opinion, like hash and a few others.

Any idea who's doing this? It seems kind of ridiculous for another ET clan/server to be ddosing FBY/Asylum, considering there's nothing to be gained in this pretty much dead game  Shocked.
Koenios
Koenios

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Sun May 14, 2017 9:28 am

Koenios wrote:Sure, I'd like to have admin to help out where I can. Not sure about a clan though, that requires a lot of communication and such. There have always been people that would do very well with the basic commands in my opinion, like hash and a few others.

Any idea who's doing this? It seems kind of ridiculous for another ET clan/server to be ddosing FBY/Asylum, considering there's nothing to be gained in this pretty much dead game  Shocked.

Fair enough, I don't blame you lol... 

I'm not sure who did it, we had over 200 bans so it could be any of them, or former admins, or other clans, or mod developers who don't like to see weapons changed, or some random hacker just attacking ET servers as a ddos mirror ET responds to some packets with much larger replies so hackers use this to amplify ddos to the rest of the internet.

FA had this problem a LOT in the early days and Dare set up a proxy so the ddos would get the wrong IP. And that's not too hard to do but you also have to modify a lot of information coming out of ET so it does not reveal the true IP. That's a nice research project if anyone wants it.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenios Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 am

Has to be someone that visited the site within 1 hour of you posting the IP, I'm not sure if you can see the IPs of people visiting the site? 

That research project sounds difficult without a basic information of networking. I'm guessing you have the proxy as medium for information inbetween client and server? Can't the proxy just be ddosed in that case?
Koenios
Koenios

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Sat May 20, 2017 9:29 am

Koenios wrote:Has to be someone that visited the site within 1 hour of you posting the IP, I'm not sure if you can see the IPs of people visiting the site? 

That research project sounds difficult without a basic information of networking. I'm guessing you have the proxy as medium for information inbetween client and server? Can't the proxy just be ddosed in that case?
Yes you use the proxy as a front-end for the real server. The bad guys don't know the real IP while they ddos the proxy IP. The proxy is run on a separate server altogether so it can get abused without affecting game performance. All the proxy has to do is forward the IP to the real server IP, so it can take a bigger performance hit. So you're just redirecting the flood where it can be better handled. Of course the big +100 Gbps ddos will just knock your proxy offline so then you need to get something like cloudfare protection, which is not cheap (you can run five ET servers on a $10 a month linux server from nuclear fallout servers, so you would pay 10 times as much to protect the server as it costs to run the game server).

Every game gets ddossed whether if it's ET or Call of Duty, so there are a lot of third-party tools, and thousands of websites on how to do ddos and protect your server from it. It's too easy to go to a ddos site and pay a few dollars or euros and enter the target IP and knock them offline for a few hours. No skill needed.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenios Wed May 31, 2017 1:57 am

Real life always has priority over virtual life, I'm sure you agree, besides Maria is definitely worth the time, again I'm sure you agree Very Happy.

I just hope this is not you feeling obliged to get things running for us (as I understand it you have a local server that works great). You don't owe us anything Smile.
Koenios
Koenios

Back to top Go down

Post by natural Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 am

Hi guys, Cool

Cool to see Funboy coming back.
Server already running? Rolling Eyes

natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Friedrich Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:53 am

Obit I figured you were gone for good or changed to a more modern game.  You should have done this on April 1st it would have been a good April's Fool Day gag if you do not start up a new Server.  

You should just rewind to day one and do Funboy Beginner again.  Crazy weapons and as many bots as will run. 

Have not played for years and years. 

I think your "friends" at the big server are probably the one doxing you.  They do not want any competition.
Friedrich
Friedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by sj wills Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Obit man you are back! So good to hear it!. I know it got to be crazy there for awhile for you. No doubt. Looking forward to coming by when you get all the glitches ironed out. Im sure a lot of folks will Smile.   Yessir let the mayhem begin! FUNBOY ET LIVES! Peace man!

sj wills

Back to top Go down

Post by sj wills Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:52 pm

It's kinda quiet around here. Just checking in for an update Obit. Will we see Funboy active anytime soon? Thanks.

sj wills

Back to top Go down

Post by sjwills Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Obit I dont know what your expectations are. Itd be nice to drop by see all those players enjoying the FBY thing again. Tonight it was only bots Smile. See you soon.

sjwills

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammer Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 am

I haven't been around in years but thought I'd drop by to see how things are going. Sad to see that FB appears to be defunct. We had some good times.
Hammer
Hammer

Back to top Go down

FUNBOY (RELAPSE) Empty Agree With You Hammer!

Post by Lance Boil Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:53 am

Hammer wrote:I haven't been around in years but thought I'd drop by to see how things are going. Sad to see that FB appears to be defunct. We had some good times.

I, like Hammer drop by on occasion in the hope that the old Funboy has shown up again, but with no joy again. Sure do miss the old server and all the peeps who played there, some great times. My best to everyone!
Lance Boil
Lance Boil
Lance Boil

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:40 pm

FUNBOY (BEGINNER) is back and on the ET masterlist.  

Almost the same settings as 2014, but running on much more powerful server hardware. Enjoy.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammer Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:51 am

Are the servers still running? It's been years since I was on.
Hammer
Hammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down