FUNBOY ET FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server

+3
obituary
Valkyr
gOOmba
7 posters

Go down

Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server Empty Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server

Post by gOOmba Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Oh where ,oh where has my Minas server gone, oh where, oh where could it be ?

Please come back .....

I miss you
gOOmba
gOOmba

Back to top Go down

Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server Empty Re: Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server

Post by Valkyr Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 am

I think the map is in the rotation on both beginner and arson. You just have to wait for it to come round.
Valkyr
Valkyr

Back to top Go down

Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server Empty Re: Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server

Post by obituary Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am

Go to the FUNBOY (ARSON) server and you can vote for it and play it any time you like.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server Empty Minas Server Only

Post by gOOmba Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:51 pm

The server settings on dedicated minas were totally diff. from arson and sooooo much fun.
please bring it back.... please?
gOOmba
gOOmba

Back to top Go down

Post by Selene Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:46 pm

The settings were identical to Beginner. We don't want two servers to have identical settings anymore.
Selene
Selene

Back to top Go down

Post by Beastborg Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Selene wrote:The settings were identical to Beginner. We don't want two servers to have identical settings anymore.
Wow that was cold! I don't know about anyone else, but I miss Butterfly. Sad Selene is like ice! affraid 

Lol just kiddin' Wink
Beastborg
Beastborg

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm

We don't want to have a bunch of ET servers anymore. It was fun to see what we could do, but there aren't enough players left to support them all.

What we ended up with was five near-dead ET servers, when we could have compressed everyone onto Beginner and have it full of real people, not omnibots.

And it is a lot of work to keep them all running and rotate maps and update bans on all of them. And trying to add server facades for each of them is a big mess too.

If we brought back Minas I know half the people on Beginner would just go over there, and then we would have two half-empty servers with the exact same settings instead of one full jaymod server.

Arson is obviously dead now so it will probably go to ET heaven soon too.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Beastborg Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Are we sure about Arson? I see two players on it right now. Perhaps rumors of its demise were greatly exaggerated.

Beast
Beastborg
Beastborg

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyr Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Arson is a really fun server. Flyin' and Flamin' is a blast.
I would be sorry if it dies. Sad
Valkyr
Valkyr

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm glad someone likes it. I have always had a soft spot for silent mod, there is so much you can do with it to customize it that you can't do with jaymod.

I would love to see Arson have its own player base, of course not if that player base is just taking players away from Beginner.

I wanted to do something different with Arson, not have straight silent mod (yawn) or not have another double-damage, endless-airstrike, omnibot-campfest like Flight School. I think it leans this way anyway, but the flamers make it a bit harder to just hide in a corner and camp. You have to get in front of people when you use a flamer, it makes you expose yourself more.

It's hard to tell if adding servers brings in new players or just divides up the players we already had.

When we tell people "go play on arson, you can vote for Minas all day" and their response is "no, I don't like the settings" it kind of makes me feel like running silent mod is a waste of time. Like the mod is never going to be more than a niche mod, a "mod for admins, not for players" if you will.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 pm

There were two people on Arson tonight but it was only because Beginner had crashed again (stupid omnibot crash...).

What I really need is a script that will restart Beginner automatically whenever it crashes so it is not dependent on us noticing it is off and restarting it.

Right now it is totally dependent on us human beings to notice it is not running and go restart it. And we come here at random intervals, and sometimes it stays off for hours.

Anyone feel like writing a batch script?

Needs to:
1) check if a port is in use (27961)
2) if port is no longer in use,  execute an .exe file

that's it.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 pm

Ive never really done batch files but this runs for me. However all this does it check to see if et.exe is found in the results of netstat. If it isnt found it will run the exe to start it up. If it is found then it just prints All Good and finishes.

No promise this works for the server though. You will also need a way to run the bat file every so often.

Just these two lines:
netstat -b -a -n | find "et.exe"
if %ERRORLEVEL% equ 0 (@echo "All Good") ELSE (start /d "E:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\" et.exe)

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneStar Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:44 am

Be happy to help anyway I can.
LoneStar
LoneStar

Back to top Go down

Oh where have you gone my beloved Minas Server Empty To OBIT

Post by gOOmba Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Thank you for your replies and I understand your concern regarding the exodus of players from Beginner to Minas
if you bring it back with old settings. I really don't have a leg to stand on as I am not incurring any time or costs for these servers but....

It would be well appreciated if there were to be another server added (or if arson could be changed),  that it would be
a minas server again. I know of quite a few people (FBY membs incl.) that are mourning the loss of this server.

Thx and Peace Out.
gOOmba
gOOmba

Back to top Go down

Post by Kernel265 Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:12 pm

I did a really cool Linux script for the TC:E mod for E.T.
Since that mod crashes often on Linux with et 2.60b I wrote something that checks to see if the game exited normally or with a crash signal.
If it's a normal exit, nothing happens.
If it's a crash, it restarts et and automatically reconnects to the last server you were on.
I don't really know Windows scripting, sorry.
Kernel265
Kernel265

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:18 pm

gOOmba wrote:Thank you for your replies and I understand your concern regarding the exodus of players from Beginner to Minas
if you bring it back with old settings. I really don't have a leg to stand on as I am not incurring any time or costs for these servers but....

It would be well appreciated if there were to be another server added (or if arson could be changed),  that it would be
a minas server again. I know of quite a few people (FBY membs incl.) that are mourning the loss of this server.

Thx and Peace Out.
I understand that point of view but I don't want half the players to leave Beginner. Beginner is moving up the charts again after a long period of stagnating around #50 on the gametracker list. This is quite an accomplishment for our community considering we are gaining on long-entrenched servers that have held popular slots for many years.

It is only by being somewhat brutal that we are able to achieve this. I have shut down servers that I personally spent many hours of effort setting up. We have chosen to not run extra servers even though we easily can, to make the sacrifice to get a server full of humans again. Nobody wants to play on a server full of omnibots.

Really it is just one map you are asking for, otherwise why not just play on Beginner? Most players get bored playing the same map over and over. If I set Beginner to play fewer maps so minas comes up more often then many people complain that they are bored of playing the same maps over and over, Also jaymod has a bug on minas anyway where Gate 6 spawn gets messed up. So it is better to play minas on silent mod anyway.

Thanks for letting me know how you feel though. These conversations are always productive so people can see what the thought process is here.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down