FUNBOY ET FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing Ubuntu on a Mac

3 posters

Go down

Installing Ubuntu on a Mac Empty Installing Ubuntu on a Mac

Post by obituary Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 pm

You can run ET on ubuntu. There are many tutorials on how to run ET on ubuntu. Works better than windows (and most probably MacOS) for most people.

A lot of people have trouble running ET on WIndows 7 so they run ubuntu as a dual-boot system and install ET on the ubuntu OS. You can do something similar with MacOS.

Here is how to run ubuntu on a Mac: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-148617.html

There are probably newer tutorials out there. I would be the first to agree that running ubuntu is a pain in the butt and takes a bit of work. But it might be worth the trouble if you are in "Mac vs ET" hell.

Last edited by obituary on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Installing Ubuntu on a Mac Empty Re: Installing Ubuntu on a Mac

Post by obituary Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Here is a brief discussion about running ubuntu on lion:

http://superuser.com/questions/368815/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-a-mac-running-os-x-lion

Also, there is supposed to a "2.60d patch" for ET that adds some Mac compatibility. You may want to google this and see if you can find it.
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by AMacUser Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:06 am

I'll look into it.... although I'm stuck on 10.5.8 with my Quad G5 (if that matters) and up until now, I really haven't had any mac vs et issues. =)
AMacUser
AMacUser

Back to top Go down

Post by obituary Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:07 pm

There is a whole section in the ubuntu forums for Mac users, so your Quad 5 should be fine with ubuntu.

If you are interested this is a good place to get ideas:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=328
obituary
obituary

Back to top Go down

Installing Ubuntu on a Mac Empty Installing Ubuntu on a Mac

Post by Beavis Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:32 pm

obituary wrote:Mac vs ET problem...

Can you run ubuntu on your Mac?

I can think of a couple of different ways to install Ubuntu on a Mac. Whether it will work how you want it to or not will depend on the availability of the correct drivers, possible issues relating to OS "system calls", degradation of performance, etc. YMMV...

1. Install Ubuntu as another OS on another partition of your Mac using Boot Camp. This requires Boot Camp (included with OS X), and a version of Ubuntu (free). I have not tried this yet.

2. Install virtualization software on your Mac (Parallels Desktop, Parallels Workstation or VMWare Fusion), and then install Ubuntu on top of that. This requires the virtualization software ($$$), and a version of Ubuntu (free). I have not tried this yet.

On a related note, if you could also do the same thing using Windows instead of Ubuntu...

3. Install Windows as another OS on another partition of your Mac using Boot Camp. This requires Boot Camp (included with OS X), and a legal retail version of Windows ($$$). Very easy to do.

4. Install virtualization software on your Mac (Parallels Desktop, Parallels Workstation or VMWare Fusion), and then install Windows on top of that. This requires the virtualization software ($$$), and a legal retail version of Windows ($$$). Very easy to do.

On another related note, if you have a working Ubuntu system, you can try using "emulation" software on Ubuntu to run native Windows applications...

5. Install the Windows ET client using the WINE package on Ubuntu. I have not tried this yet.

I regularly use the following systems to play ET, and they all work exactly like they should:

A. HP notebook (dual boot: Windows + Ubuntu) running Windows 7 with native Windows ET client.

B. HP notebook (dual boot: Windows + Ubuntu) running Ubuntu 12.04 with native Linux ET client.

C. Imac running OS X (10.6) with native OS X ET client.

Read the posts included elsewhere in this thread, and search Google for more information.

I hope that helps someone solve this or another problem.
Beavis
Beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down